A. EU Nationals

If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to Italy and vice-versa.

The border-freeSchengen area includes:

· Austria

· Belgium

· Czech Republic

· Denmark

· Estonia

· Finland

· France

· Germany

· Greece

· Hungary

· Iceland

· Italy

· Latvia

· Liechtenstein

· Lithuania

· Luxembourg

· Malta

· Netherlands

· Norway

· Poland

· Portugal

· Slovakia

· Slovenia

· Spain

· Sweden

· Switzerland

You must still show a valid ID card or passport when travelling to or from:

· Bulgaria

· Croatia

· Cyprus

· Ireland

· Romania

· United Kingdom

Though part of the EU, these countries do not belong to the border-free Schengen area.

Even if you don't need a passport for border checks within the Schengen area, it is still always best to take a passport or ID card with you, so you can prove your identity if needed (if stopped by police, boarding a plane, etc.).

Driving licences, post, bank or tax cards are not accepted in Italy as valid travel documents or proof of identity.

In case you:

· lose your passport or have it stolen,

· realise that your passport has expired during your trip,

as under EU rules you may travel only with a valid ID card or passport, you should report to your country's consulate or embassy

Under Italian Law, if you travel from a Schengen State you should report your presence within 8 days after you have entered Italy at the local police headquarter (Questura) by submitting the form 'Declaration of presence' (Dichiarazione di presenza). However, a 'Declaration of presence' is not required in case you are staying in a hotel since the registration form of the hotel (signed by you at your arrival) reports your presence as the 'Declaration of presence' form does. The hotel manager will provide you with a copy of the hotel registration.
Please keep this always with you and show it to any police officer who should request it.

B. Non-EU Nationals

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel to Italy and /or within the EU, you will need a passport:

· valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,

· which was issued within the previous 10 years.

Border officials in Italy and other EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket. For the precise requirements contact the localConsular Services of the EU countries you are travelling to.

Please note that if you travel from a Non-Schengen State, you do not need to report your presence at the local police headquarter (Questura), since the stamp that the Border Authorities put on your travel documents attests your presence.

C. Minors

A Minor travelling to Italy as a tourist must have the consent of both parents. His/her birth certificate must be presented and his/her application must be signed by both parents. If the minor is not travelling with both parents, the parent who is not travelling must sign a separate, notarized, authorization form.

Please note that the parents must be the same as the ones shown on the Birth Certificate. If they are not, the parent shown on the Birth Certificate must give his/her consent.

D. Visas

A Schengen Visa allows the holder to travel freely within the border-free Schengen area.

The uniform Visa issued by a Schengen State authorizes entry for a short stay in or transit through the Schengen area for a period not exceeding 90 days.

If you hold a residence permit issued by a Schengen State you are entitled to enter Italy without a visa for a short stay not exceeding 3 months on grounds other than employment, self-employment and training. In this case, you have to report on arrival.

If you wish to stay in Italy for a period exceeding 90 days, you are subject to a visa requirement even if you are a citizen of a country exempt from any visa requirement for transit or short stay.

E. Do I need a Visa?

EU Nationalsdo not need visas to enter any of the Schengen countries, including Italy.

Citizens of the following countries are NOT REQUIRED for visas when visiting Italy for tourism, mission, business, or to participate in competitive sports events for stays of 90 days or less (short stay visa):

· Albania

· Andorra

· Antigua e Barbuda

· Argentina

· Australia

· Bahamas

· Barbados

· Bosnia-Erzegovina

· Brazil

· Brunei

· Canada

· Chile

· South Korea

· Costa Rica

· El Salvador

· Former Iugoslav Republic of Macedonia

· Japan

· Guatemala

· Honduras

· Israel

· Malaysia

· Mauritius

· Mexico

· Monaco

· Montenegro

· Nicaragua

· New Zealand

· Panama

· Paraguay

· Saint Christopher (Saint Kitts) and Nevis

· Singapore

· Serbia

· Seychelles

· Taiwan

· United States of America

· Uruguay

· Venezuela

· British Nationals (Overseas)

· Hong Kong

· Macao


Citizens of countries NOT listed above NEED a visa to enter Italy. Therefore,

a. If you intend to visit Italy only, you must apply at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country;

b. If you intend to visit Italy and other Schengen countries, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you will stay the longest;

c. If you intend to visit Italy and other Schengen countries and will be staying the same amount of time in each one, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the country you will enter first.

Please be aware that even if you do not need a visa for Italy, a visa may be required for other Schengen countries you plan to visit. Also, note that you cannot apply for a visa or an extension of its validity while you are in Italy.